Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Smooth Sailing

J-Man's adoption was nothing short of perfect. It was Monday, June 7, 2004. We had barely finished our home study, when we got a call saying our social worker came across a little 6-month old boy. We set up a "disclosure meeting" where we would meet with the baby's social worker to hear his story. It was up to us whether we wanted to pursue him or not. Usually people meet with the social worker, hear the often-gory details, and then set up a time to meet the child.

J-Man's worker told us that his foster family was going on vacation for 2 weeks so we wouldn't be able to meet him until they came back. I asked her where he would be staying when they were gone, and she said he would be going to respite care.

On the drive home, Superman and I discussed this sweet little boy. He had already been in 3 foster homes, and was going to temporarily go into a fourth until his foster family came back from vacation. It just seemed wrong to put him through that unnecessary movement. So, before we even arrived home, I called the worker back and asked if we could just bring him home. She said that had never been done before--we hadn't met him; heck, we hadn't even seen a picture of him. She said she would talk to her supervisor and let us know.

The next day, we got a call that on Friday we could pick him up. Amazing. And even more amazing was the fact that when we got the address of where to pick him up, it was less than a mile from our house!

So, Friday, June 11th 2004 we left home at 9:45 a.m. and came back at 10:15 with a new baby. A brother for Mr. C, a son for us...and it was quite surreal.

J-Man's hair looked as though it had been collecting some kind of sticky substance that did NOT want to leave its cozy home. We ended up cutting off most of it so we could get a fresh start. I tell you, 6 months was a great age. J-Man was already sleeping through the night, he was a mellow baby, and he was quite content being in our home. You would think after being bounced around so much he would be wary of people, but he was happy to be with us! Of course, things weren't as easy for me, but as you all know, things became better as time wore on.

His birth mom's parental rights were terminated a few weeks later with no hitches--she didn't appeal, so within 6 months we were ready to finalize. No objections by the court, or birth mom. It was probably the smoothest adoption I've ever seen. Now, M and N (and G) are a different story...which will be for another day. We have learned a lot about the appeal process from them.

In the meantime, I'm off to change a poopy diaper, arbitrate an argument between two little ones and clean out my big ol' purse. The day is still young!


Anonymous said...

I totally remember when you brought J home. He was/is such a sweet boy. After a couple months though he had a totally different demeanor. He looked...cleaner, and secure...and LOVED! -Soni

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails