Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent

I have never participated in Lent before. I really didn't know much about it, other than the fact that people around me seem to give up soda or sweets for 40 days. This year, I felt prompted to look into it more. What I read, I liked. "Lent is a time of sacrifice for Jesus." "The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ." (from Wikipedia) It intrigued me. 

I want to make a sacrifice. Not something like no sweets or no t.v. or no coffee. Those are all great things to give up, but I wanted something different. I wanted something that would push me closer to God, force me into His arms. I prayed and thought and prayed and thought. And I finally came up with this: 

For the next 40 days, I am going to get up early and spend time in prayer, specifically praying for the miraculous healing of Superman

I normally spend time each day reading my Bible and praying, but this will be different; more intense.

Although Superman's health has improved drastically since last year, he is still plagued by a few things that just will not let go. And I'm ready to get up a 1/2 hour earlier for the next 40 days to spend time praying specifically for his healing. And I expect the Lord will do miraculous things! Whether he will heal Superman, I do not know. But I do know that our God is a God of awesomeness, and I know He does not disappoint. 

So, today marks the beginning of Lent. We will pray and experience Ash Wednesday as a family, repenting of our sins and asking the Lord's forgiveness, while thanking Him for the many, many blessings He has given us.

How will you experience Lent?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! When my husband was transitioning into full-time musicianship (finally leaving his day job), I felt called to do just that - get up early every morning to pray for the Lord's guidance and provision, praying blessings over my husband and his work, etc. It made a huge difference and he tells people all the time how much it meant to him and how much He believes the Lord moved through those times. I still do it frequently. I've gotten a bit lax but you might find, like I did, that it makes the day so much better to get up early and pray for your family before they get out of bed, that you don't want to stop after 40 days. :)

Pappy said...

I believe God's blessings will rain on you. Watch for them!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails