Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Full Confession...The Crushing of Childhood Fantasies

Some of you may remember when I told Mr. C that the "Advent Angel" was just a fabricated person.

The other day he asked me if Santa is real. So far, I've been able to dodge the question saying things like, "If you believe in him, than he's real to you" and, "St. Nicholas was a real person...". But I felt it was time. And Superman and I decided that if we were going to let him know about Santa, we may as well dash his dreams of the Easter Bunny, Leprechauns, and the Treasure Troll,* too.

*The Treasure Troll is another fictional character I created years back. When we go on trail walks or hikes, this "Treasure Troll" puts an "X" somewhere along our route. If we find the "X," he will leave something back at the car for the kids. Sometimes it's some little 5-cent trinket...other times it's root beer. He doesn't always show up...just when he has time. It's a fun little tradition that makes our family hikes even more exciting.

Anyhoo, after a long conversation about how mommy and daddy are Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Treasure Troll, and the Leprechaun (who always leaves green dust behind as evidence of his visit on St. Patrick's Day), I think I actually let out a sigh of relief. It felt good to come clean with him. We told him not to spoil the fun for the other kids. So far, he's kept good on his word about the Advent Angel. I think it's our new policy that when our kids start asking if someone is real, we'll just lay it out plain and simple for them.

I'm a little sad that Mr. C's time of enjoying all these fictional people has come to a close. but I guess I still have four other kids I can have fun with. And, Mr. C is now my official helper for make-believe adventures.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Dang. I always forget to fill in those squiggly letters. :(

Love the Treasure Troll idea.

I have the same policy on telling but so far no one has fessed up to being non-believers....yet....

The Accidental Mommy said...

My parents always said Santa would stop coming if we stopped believing. So my sister and I still believe. To this day I don't think we have questioned Santa in front of our parents, LOL!

stellarparenting.com said...

we have one who knows and one who does not, sometimes it is a challenge for him not to spill the beans but he has managed so far. I say the same as Essie did, what no Santa then I guess he is not bringing any gifts and he quiets down pretty quickly.

Britts said...

From a different perspective, I grew up never believing "in" Santa et al but always enjoying the fun of these make believe characters. We always talked about him and the Easter bunny, etc., and would go through all the rituals, but we always knew it was my parents. As a result, there was never any let down, and my parents were able to focus even more on the real meanings of each holiday. (For some reason they let us believe in the Tooth Fairy, though. funny. Maybe because she isn't related to anything religious?)...
Anyways, my point is, knowing the truth doesn't have to squash the fun. :o)

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Wait? There isn't a Santa? What????..... So far we have avoided directly answering when asked...and luckily our older foster kids have been supportive saying things like "Santa won't bring presents if you don't believe - "

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails