Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Food Allergies and Discouragement

Some of you may remember my post awhile back about Superman's diagnosis of Celiac Disease. His life has improved dramatically since he cut gluten out of his diet...he's gained 20 pounds (which was very needed!) and feels so much better. But still not better. He continues to have issues that plague him. And it's discouraging. I know how discouraging it is to me, and I have to multiply that multiple times to get to the angst he feels. 

He recently went to a doctor, well, actually, a chiropractor who came highly recommended by a colleague. This colleague's son was plagued by many symptoms like Superman, and after exhausting all the conventional medical avenues, decided to try the "naturalistic" path. We have, I'm somewhat ashamed to admit, always turned our nose at the "natural" remedies found in unconventional medicine. Maybe because neither of us have really been exposed to it before...I don't know. At any rate, to make a long story short, this doctor says Superman is sensitive to corn, dairy and soy as well as incapable of processing wheat. Wow. If it's true, it'll explain why he just hasn't felt healed yet...but I must admit, I'm a bit skeptical.

With this news comes new responsibility for me...I'm the one who has to feed Superman; it's in my job description. And as much as I'd like to just say, "Well, you're on your own..." I have to find meals that the kids and I can enjoy that will also be edible for him.

To be quite honest, I feel overwhelmed. I have a hard enough time thinking of something to make for each meal when there are no diet restrictions. Coming up with new ides that don't have any of those ingredients is going to be, well, a challenge. I think I said before I like a good challenge every now and then. Well, I don't think I'm really on board with this one yet.

I feel bad complaining. I mean, it could be so so so much worse. And it's not. But still, this is my reality, and it is hard for me not to be a bit discouraged by it. This coupled with the fact that our kids have been pushing me to the edge of sanity this past week...I've completely fallen off the "no sugar" wagon and resorted to replacing almost all my meals with sugar. I'm not exaggerating, either. This past week, I have barely eaten anything of substance. I've eaten plenty of chocolate, cookies, tootsie rolls, and any other sweets I can get my hands on, though. I feel stressed.

I think my mood could be the dictionary definition of the word "slump." It irritates me that I feel that way. Here I am, living in my dream world on property...our kids are healthy...our roof didn't leak when it rained over the weekend...there's a fire crackling in the stove...I'm making a pumpkin pie from scratch (whoops! More sugar...). What in the world do I have to complain about? Sigh.

I suppose we're all allowed a few "off" days every now and then. I think I'm just ready to be back "on." 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

talk to Tina--Eva was just recently diagnosed with a corn and peanut allergy. She has spent a lot of time researching and figuring out how to deal with feeding the family while not using these items

Pappy said...

Five kids under 7 and you wonder if you're allowed an "off" day now and then? I'd suggest fixing meals that contain things Bony Superman can eat and stuff for everyone else that he can't eat. Being Superman, he can pick out the stuff that's okay for him and pass up the stuff that's not. Of course, you'll be cooking from scratch because processed food has loads of corn and dairy. But you are a country wife, so you can do it.

obladi oblada said...

Hey you changed your blog name! Im hoping that you come out of your slump. Even though there are things in life to be thankful for, we all still have those moments. Just focus on the good things.

Shannon K. said...

I'm so sorry Shanti. My sister in law who is also Celiac decided to go vegetarian as well. Imagine my holiday meals!!! Haha...in all seriousness, it's very hard on us as wives but I sometimes think of how my husband feels being an inconvenience all the time...restaurants, work lunches, etc. Give it some time...you'll come up with your go to recipes. We are a meat and potatoes kind of house very often and the whole family is fine with that. Simple is ok! :)

stellarparenting.com said...

there are a number of cleiacs who ahve the same troubles. I agree with some of the other suggestions about double cooking osme meals so that you can stretch out supermans meals over a couple of days and then you can cook food for the rest of you on those days. We do a bit of that here for me because gluten free is more expensive and that is a huge factor for us. Good Luck

stellarparenting.com said...

oh my goodness, perhaps I should type slower or proof read my comments!

Allergy Mum said...

It takes a while to get used to cooking allergy free. Take it one day at a time and things will get easier. For us, it is much easier to cook 1 meal for the whole family to eat than to try and cook multiple meals. He may still be getting sick because of cross-contamination of glutens that are keep in the house. Good luck.
Allergy Mum - http://allergymum.blogspot.com/

Staci said...

Check out http://gluten-free-reality.blogspot.com/
It's a really good blog with lots of good recipes and info on living gluten free. We are dealing with dietary issues at our house and it's not fun. The problem is that a diagnosis like this is a life-long issue that requires huge lifestyle changes. It's not like a cold that will go away in a week or so - wish it were that easy! Good luck. Take it a day at a time - it will get easier!

Sherman Unkefer said...

This is a post filled to the brim with extraordinary ordinary joys. so glad you took the time to share.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails